Tuesday, August 30, 2011

reading time with pickle

Hey there

So I was in Chicago for a week back there, sometime earlier this month and in a very different time zone. I was there for YAGM (Young Adults in Global Mission) orientation. There were 49 others, getting to know each other better and growing more anxious for our international departures coming up. We spent mornings and afternoons learning about what it means to be a YAGM. I learned a lot. A lot. All of it was essential information. We didn’t learn facts that we can bring up at any given moment while in our countries of service, but more internalized concepts that we now know and understand fully in our heads and hearts. We practiced interfaith dialogues, heard music as a form of prayer, found out how to blog appropriately, and learned new travel tips, and experienced self-care and forms of meditation.

We were extremely well fed and were forced to enjoy Chicago (shout out to ELCA! Thanks!). I was blessed with some quality time with Peter, Kim, and Jim (all very beautiful Gonias) for one day during orientation. That was splendid and necessary. Finally saying goodbye to them made leaving all the more real. Still, maintaining internet and cell phone contact meant that we were nearby, even after all the goodbyes that were had prior to my departure to Chicago.

One really neat-o thing about orientation was our ‘lecture’ on ennegram. I am familiar with that personality typing system. All the YAGMs attempted to discover their soul potentials and determine their ‘type.’ The Malaysia crew spent the evening after our enneagram lecture out at dinner in Chinatown, Chicago. We talked about our ‘types’ nearly the entire time. Many told me they didn’t “want to be” the number they assume they are. Sad. But at least we got to talk about it. It was pretty cool that I could offer insight because I know some stuff. It’s also great to know each other’s types. It’s already been helpful, or rather somewhat of an excuse for certain behaviors. I like it though. Fun and interesting fo’ sho’.

The end of orientation was hard/weird. We had grown closer only to disperse to further corners of the world (not just the country as it was the first time we all met and then left). Closing worship was beautiful and powerful. I looked around and knew there were a million different emotions being had by all, and I had them all too, at once. How wonderfully scary? That week was awesome, really it was. There was time built in to everyday that looked like free time but served as an opportunity to process everything. Everyone was ready, it seemed, since about day two or three. Everyone except me. I didn’t want to pretend I was ready. I told people I was almost ready but I’m still not sure if I was actually 100% ready and just (being a 3) decided to say I wasn’t so as not to look too something (insert adjective I might have avoided. ie: perfect?). I was though. Ready to pack, mail my phone, board a plane, cross the world, be somewhere new, start something amazing, serve as God’s hands, go.

I pray pray pray that no one at home reads this and says that they are sad that I left them. This, unlike other moves in life, is a not a personal thing. I did not leave the country to leave you or anyone. I did not leave simply because I graduated and Peter hasn’t so I have a year to spare. It’s so much bigger than that. (take me too the looney bin because I’m hearing voices) God told me to do it. God tells me everyday. Go. Matt 28:19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations…” I would be extremely disappointed if I had ignored that call. I doubt I’m prepared for what lies ahead but how amazing it is that I get to have God with me through it all. God with you too ya know. I am blessed. We are blessed. The first part of this call is to go, but there is a return. The return is more crucial than the year in Malaysia. I’ll share with everyone what I come to learn. Share the good news, that God is good, even in Malaysia. But until then, you can read the story as it unfolds and continues right here!

Peace


The Pier.

YAGM swimming at the lake. It was a pretty sunset. I didn't want to swim of course. After a short time I started playing volleyball, and that lasted for two hours. The most fun I had all throughout orientation.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hears voices. I am SO beyond proud of you, my beautiful God daughter. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this now - so excited to know about your blog! You are an inspiration, Allisun. Keep doing God's work and following that call...you are an amazing, faithful lady. I feel honored to know you. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete