Monday, November 7, 2011

well with soul

Malaysia is such a diverse country and recognizes the holidays of many different religions/nationalities so it seems like every week we have a day off for one reason or another. I actually had a compensation day for the 'field trip' I went on and wrote my last blog about. I chose to take Halloween off and that was silly because everyone at work thought that Halloween must be very important in the US, important enough that everyone has the day off. Ha! That's not true. Halloween was enjoyable even with the heat and costume combination. The week before that we had an Indian holiday that I didn't get to experience from a cultural perspective aside from bowling and karaoke with the staff (who are all malaysian). Fun, but unrelated to Deepavali. Today is Hari Raya Haji and I am resting and writing. The usual for me. Turns out I like reflective and creative time. I do enjoy social interactions and new cultural experiences, but sometimes I am lazy. No two ways about it.

This weekend I have felt particularly 'American.' Saturday night I went with Molly to the local christian church (BCCM KK) and their youth worship service called Eklektos. This particular church has english services and this youth service was entirely in English. It was fascinating and powerful. I was inspired by the love and spirit in the room with these young adults singing, jumping, and praying. My friend and the pastor's son even gave the 'talk' that evening. It is great to see him following his heart and allowing God to use his words to speak to all of the young people who were there. The next morning, Molly and I went to worship at the same church. This was also in English. I knew it would be but I haven't been to an English-speaking worship for many weeks now, so this was just different! But also, comfortable. I went to a Catholic church a month or so ago and we had communion. It was the first time in Malaysia I had had communion and it was only the wafer. And Catholic. So it was different but at both Eklektos and Sunday morning worship at BCCM KK we had communion. With grapejuice!! I feel like I doubled up this weekend haha.

Saturday was another YAGM's birthday, Elizabeth. So we took her out on Sunday; I bought her a yam milkshake, and we surprised her with all the youth at a restaurant waiting for her. It's fantastic to be with other friends as if they are family. I just hope I saved Elizabeth from feeling homesick.

This is outside of the mall that we typically go to for movies and where the restaurant of Liz's birthday lunch is. In my hand is a Yam bubble tea. I love the sweet (and potentially artificial) Yam flavored beverages I've tried in KK. It's my go-to for dessert and has a slightly nutty flavor. This was taken after I walked around KK alone for the first time and I was feeling really confident. I was feeling like a local Sabahan with not a care in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment