Tuesday, January 17, 2012

space travel is boring

This week has been filled with changes and news of changes! My feelings about these changes are across the board, seriously. The major change in my life is my relationship status but this is not the place to write about that so if you have questions, just email me :)

The "school" side of Seri Mengasih was previously Juniors and Seniors but they have moved things around and joined their forces to become... Functional Living Skills Department (FLS). This is a cool adjustment because it explains a lot of Seri Mengasih's purpose. Students learn to be independent and take care of themselves, no matter their level of ability or their age. I love that because it is extremely important for us (as humans) to have some sense of control over our own lives. Of course, the earlier these skills are taught the better. This focus is also important for families who can help their student improve and make life a little easier for the whole family! FLS still includes academics but the goal is to have students who succeed and can eventually live independently, perhaps even have a job. But that's in the far-future. (Keep in mind FLS students are between the ages of 6-18 or so). Seri Mengasih has programs that foster such progress. I usually work in the "vocational" side of Seri Mengasih where students work somewhat like employees and acquire skills related to having a job. There is even an alumni program for Seri Mengasih graduates. Without basic living skills and academics at the younger age, it would be a lot harder for people live independently in the future. This change in title helps to explain what a school like this can do for people. It definitely goes beyond brushing ones own teeth :D
My site supervisor told me about some of the more serious political aspects of Seri Mengasih. The government owns the property that the school is on and they want it. We assume for tourism. This land is precious because it is right on the beach. Seri Mengasih is on two sides of one street so the FLS backyard is the beach and the Vocational backyard is... an airport runway. I think it may even be the same distance, no joke. She explained to me that in a few years Seri Mengasih will be forced to relocate and that it will be completely different if I try to come back for a visit in the future. That makes me so sad! Moving like that has got to be rough... on everything, but especially finances. I don't even like to think about it. I could come back and, as she explained it, stay here again but in a new hotel rather than an old colonial house.
The biggest shocker causes me stress but I don't want any of you to worry.. please. My site supervisor is resigning from Seri Mengasih to work for the church. God Bless her :) We haven't had a chance to talk about what this means. She's my boss and my number one contact if I need anything (her name is Joan, in case you were wondering) plus she's fluent in English and Malay. I remember the other site supervisors for the other YAGM and they all work for their placement site or are connected in some way. I suppose I will need a 'new' site supervisor and a new boss. It's awesome for her and I am happy for her to follow a passion and a calling. I just can't help but be a little bit selfish about this and immediately revert to "woe is me." I can't imagine how switching site supervisors would work. We made a covenant together, she knows my stories, and she knows my language! Joan has been at Seri Mengasih for twenty-two years (that's as long as I've been alive) so the entire staff will feel her absence and it will most likely be really hard on her to leave a place that has been such a huge chunk of her life! That's amazing. In a meeting the other day our principal (of FLS. Joan is the director for Vocational) said that Seri Mengasih is "a place where you can develop yourself personally" and she was referring to us as a staff. That's definitely true for this place, no matter how long you are here. It can have a huge impact on a person. I've already had my eyes opened, and my heart. I love all the people here, just because, and that's pretty neat. I've been here long enough to see how good Joan has been for this place, she's excellent! She's scheduled to leave in March so we have some time to adjust and accept the facts. I really wish the best for her.
January 23rd is Chinese New Year. I said yes to an invitation to spend the 4-day weekend with a short-term volunteer at Seri Mengasih and a sweet Chinese girl (I'm sure her family is sweet too!) who is also a member at the BCCM in Likas. And, as is best for life, I have no expectations for it other than what she has told me is true. Wish me luck! Prosperity for all this year of the dragon!
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment