Thursday, May 31, 2012

amazon

I killed my first cockroach this week. I guess I was always under the impression that cockroaches would outlive the apocalypse so there is no sense in trying to stomp on them, but after finding one crawling on me while I was trying to fall asleep on two separate occasions, I guess you could say I thought it was worth a shot. And the very next day I killed my second cockroach :)



This week was the Harvest Festival (Ka’amatan) in Sabah, Malaysia. We got three days off of work and I rounded some troops to accompany me to the Kadazan Dusun Cultural Centre/KDCA in a nearby town to see what the actual festival would be like. There have (most likely) been events going on for this all month long. We’ve seen the decorations. People had plans to “pulang kampung” [return to the village] but no one really explained what the whole deal was or how to celebrate it. What I did know was that a teacher from Seri Mengasih was in the Miss Harvest (or something) pageant and had won for her village and would represent her village at the finals! That I had to see.

Many blogs ago and about seven months ago I wrote about the KDCA. It’s a ‘cultural village’ with different styled long houses for the different tribes in Sabah. Last time I went to the KDCA it was just me and the small group from Seri Mengasih with our Japanese visitors. This time it was just me and this small group of ‘white people’ and a large crowd of Malaysians. I would go so far as to say that I only counted about 10 white people in the whole place of thousands of people! It was wonderful! I actually didn’t feel like a tourist. Anyways, the different houses hosted different activities as a reflection of what things look like at their villages around this time of year or simply how to have a good time. Fascinatingly fun! A little loud, crowded, and hot but the beauty pageant made it all worth it! All 41 ladies were gorgeous! We only watched them introduce themselves because that’s how insanely crowded it was. Seriously, I started to think all of Sabah was at the KDCA. I didn’t know this country even had that many individuals!! Just ignorance I guess. 

All the holidays I’ve experienced in Malaysia have given me… stories to tell, to say the least. It’s really just rewarding to have the experience and feel part of the area we are living in, laughing together and cheering on those beautiful pageant princesses. I’ll have these memories forever, truly. 






pretty right? pretty AWESOME!


Kotobian tadau tagazo do Ka’amatan!
peace

No comments:

Post a Comment