Wednesday, September 7, 2011

field below

Hello everyone!
Our in-country orientation plus language training is almost over! On Friday I will meet my site supervisor for this year and on Sunday I will move out of the dorms here at STS and into the house at Seri Mengasih. This is good news indeed! We have been blessed with our Malay teacher, Rose, and it will be hard to adjust without her wealth of knowledge and language. I'll be on my own with just my notebook! Many anxieties come with this ending and the real thing beginning. But I am excited!
The past two weeks we have... done and learned so much. Too much to explain, so I will have to sum up ;) I have a loose grasp on the language. I have wandered around the town (city) enough and have a feel for that. We went on a boat ride to an island, so now I know how to get to the beach. We've met pastors and BCCM friends who will continue to keep contact with us and support us. I have become more adjusted to the heat and humidity. We played badminton with local reverends! I have also become accustomed to the food here and all of its deliciousness. I have listened and discovered more and more about Sabah and Kota Kinabalu from the stories we hear and the places we go. I have developed relationships with the YAGM in Malaysia that will become more important with every day here. They are marvelous individuals. We have different stories, motivations, personalities, and intentions but we are all here to love. So that is exciting! I look forward to leaning on them and them leaning on me when necessary this year.

My next post will have valuable information about contacting me, and what my next year will look like in terms of the living situation. This is getting real.


Sunset. The first of many.


I drank coconut milk straight from the coconut. This picture is real life.


Waiting for the boats back to the city. This was taken from Sapi Island. Where we spent the day... getting sunburned. It was spectacular.

Tuaran Mee. A local dish. Noodles (mee) cooked with egg for flavor. Veggies, chicken, pork, and shrimp!! The most amazing. To drink, Milo ping (iced). Milo is basically hot chocolate or chocolate milk. Not as milky though. Very delicious and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment