Friday, September 23, 2011

welcome home

Hello friends!
I can't remember exactly what I've already explained concerning my living situation but I have some photos of my room and kitchen. You've already seen some of Seri Mengasih and the sunsets too! I'll just describe what it's like for me here so you don't have to worry about my comfort and such.


This is my room!! As you can see, I brought mydog, I bring him everywhere. I am like a 5 year old. On my desk I have Melay notes, my computer, and some snacks. I keep all of my food in my room because I don't really have a place for it in the kitchen. I also have a terrific A/C system above my desk that can make this room like a refrigerator! Lately it seems like I have been collecting food. People just give me their leftovers and stuff they don't want. I must look hungry or too thin to them. Or they're just wonderful and hospitable people. But I have gone to the supermarket a couple times and got the necessities. By the way, the supermarket nearest to here is called Sunny. Ha. That's my favorite part about it.


The second view of my room. This is an old colonial house. Apparently it's extremely old. But they've added on and on, extra buildings and such creating Seri Mengasih. In fact, there's a small road that separates this side with the house and Junior classes from the other side with the vocational, group home, and Senior classes. I have a window here but if I open it I will simply see the hallway and the closet with tools in it. Therefore, it has become a shelf-type thing where I can hang and hook nearly anything! The floor... hmmm. When I first arrived here and my friend Dayang knocked on the door of my room to make sure I was okay she said, "How is your room? You like it? It's nice, yeah? I like. Except the floor. It make me confusing. I don't know why they put the floor this way. I am not liking it." HAHA! It doesn't bother me. It's similar to a tablecloth material, plasticy and thick. It's nicer than cement, and I can't imagine Malaysia having carpet. I don't mind it at all. The design is what Dayang was confused about though. I think it's supposed to look like rocks. Silly.


The third and last view of my room. Nothing too fancy. My big window!! It opens to the back wall of the next building. A little bit of light shines through though, enough to let me know if it's dark or light out. More bars and hooks for me to hang things from I guess. I took out the bottom drawer of my wardrobe because it was malfunctioning. It's nice that everything I have to wear and then some fits in this wardrobe. Above the wardrobe is a huge shelving unit that you can see a little bit of in this photo. It's difficult for me to use because the shelves are too high! I've put a few things but I don't have much for "storage" meaning I don't have anything that I'm not going to need in the immediate future. The shelves would be perfect for long-term storage. It's too bad. Maybe if I had some pottery or pictures I could set them up there.

That's my room! It's named after an island called Sipadan. The toilet is down the hall past the kitchen. My closest neighbor is just across the hall. My room is the closest room to the shower, which is its own room. Showering is a bit like locking yourself into a tiled closet. Everything works and cold showers are definitely growing on me because I'm never cold enough to want a warm shower!

Now, the kitchen...
Essentially anyone can cook and eat here. There is a second building where staff live with its own kitchen but they seem to prefer eating here. I haven't really asked anyone about that situation. The kitchen has rice cookers, toaster, water boiler, microwave, stoves, and fridge. All the essentials. I'm not sure about cooking here so my ingredients are limited to milk, eggs, noodles, bread, butter, coconut jelly, and salt n pepa. I have other things too and whenever someone is going to the grocery store I tag along just in case because there most likely is something I need or could use. I have found myself needing coffee, like really needing coffee, at least once a day so I'm glad our Melay teacher gave us all housewarming gifts of instant coffee packets!! The point was to determine our favorite so that we can buy our flavor in bulk. I haven't finished the tasting process yet though! One extra fancy thing about this kitchen is the water purifying machine doo-dad that's attached to one of the sinks! I don't have to buy bottled water! I'm not really opposed to drinking the water of the country you live in because eventually your body should be able to handle it but because even the locals refuse to drink water from the tap, I should avoid it too. I haven't had any stomach problems! Only minor, normal, everyday aches and pains. Life is still good.

And, finally, what blog would be complete without the latest sunset picture? Enjoy.

Love you all like crazy. Talk to you later!

1 comment:

  1. Your room is so cute! I love the little Allisun touches that I see everywhere! :]

    ReplyDelete