Friday, March 9, 2012

the same deep water as you


Hong Kong was awhile back. I wrote about it in my newsletter and posted the photos on facebook. The lotus cross symbol from the Tao Fong Shan Center in Hong Kong really stuck with me. I think it's beautiful! When Peter was here he went wandering around the beach at school and found a huge lotus pond. It's strange that I had never noticed it before because the vocational side does morning walks right next to the pond. A few weeks later I went to look at it and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Big blossoms and a lot of green. Now, more recently, I saw it and it is rundown and murky as ever. There's not a single pink flower in it and most of the water is soaked up by sand. Either way, I trust that one day beautiful flowers will grow again from that muck.

I also have seasons of muck and sin. Times of great confusion or sadness. And times of new life and blossoming. I am not always perfect, well I guess I'm never perfect. I am simultaneously saint and sinner. The opportunity to talk about theology doesn't come up very often and that is mostly because I'm afraid to share my thoughts with someone who doesn't have the same thoughts. I am a coward. Lately I have heard and read about various religions and the claim that there is one way to heaven (their own religion), all other ways send a person to hell. I just like to live in my flowery philosophy where the afterlife is paradise and beautiful and open for all people to be together in peace. I mean, heaven'll be fantastic. Life on earth is earthly and filled with human corruption but that's not all there is to life. Living here and now is comparable to paradise, right? It's not all murky and mucky. We all have daily moments of laughter, joy, flawless beauty, and peace. Little moments like these make living and serving in Malaysia totally worth it. Glimpses of what God intended us to have on earth and to be truly present here and amongst the people of the world. Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment